Dry Mouth Help
Dry mouth is more than just uncomfortable; it leads to dental ailments. Whatever the case, it’s time to do something about it to protect your teeth and gums with the help from General Dentist Hesperia CA below.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
There are numerous reasons people suffer from dry mouth. Some of them include:
- Cancer treatment
- Alcohol consumption
- Tobacco usage
- Eating spicy or salty foods
- Mouth breathing
On top of having a dry mouth, these symptoms also tend to come with the problem.
- Bad breath
- Trouble chewing, swallowing or speaking
- A sore throat or tongue
- Difficulty getting dentures to fit properly
- Mouth sores
Treatment of Dry Mouth
There are plenty of ways to relieve the discomfort. Here are the top tips:
- Sip water or other caffeine-free, sugarless beverages
- Apply lip balm with lanolin to the lips
- Stimulate saliva production with sugar-free candy or chewing gum
- If you must use mouthwash, pick one without alcohol
- Run a humidifier during the night
- Avoid spicy or salty foods
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Limit caffeine consumption
- Quit all tobacco products
Many times, oral hygiene is all that’s need to repair dry mouth. For a healthy mouth, you must brush twice a day, floss once and consume a healthy diet. Make sure you also visit the dentist regularly. If your dry mouth symptoms don’t fix themselves, you need to discuss it further at your next appointment.
While dry mouth symptoms are normally just a nuisance, left untreated it will cause tooth decay and gum disease. Your dentist will help discover the cause and find a solution. If it’s a medication concern, there might be something else you could take instead. If it’s due to alcohol or tobacco usage, you might want to consider quitting. Even if mouth breathing seems to be the cause, your dentist has solutions to ease your discomfort.